Solo Review- The Devil's Chair


The Devil's Chair
Sub-Genre- Supernatural

In Attendance
- Me... and me.

Cast Members of Note- No one of note really, just a bunch of hot British birds.

What's it about?- A bloke (Nick) and his bird (some slut) decide it's a great idea to go poking around an old abandoned hospital, and maybe do some drugs and have sex while inside. Sure it's dirty and creepy, and there may be some transient hobo's hiding somewhere inside ready to rape them both, but bollocks to that! We're young and wild, who needs common sense!

They find a chair to sit in, and of course, she services him. When she takes her turn to get a lil' somethin' somethin', the chair pretty much kills her. The police don't believe him, because no one ever gets murdered by chairs, and the lock him in the loony bin. Years later, a creepy old guy writing a book springs him out and drags him back to the scene of the crime to do some "research."

At this point, everyone who comes along for the trip wants to sit in the chair, and one by one they all get sucked into hell, where a creepy cow-head demon wants to feed off of their blood.

"Hi, I'm Stanley... Now make with the blood, bitch!"

I wont ruin the ending here, but suffice it to say, that twist endings usually suck. I mean, just once these days can we not have a twist/shock/jump cut ending?


The Good- This one worked for me on a lot of different levels; I loved the grainy look of it all; the blood and gore content was plentiful; The characters, save for one guy, didn't drive me nuts and male me wish them dead; I thought the use of a running voice over was pretty effective, and cool to boot... The British are great at voice over in film; the story was interesting, and had me intrigued; and the visuals were creepy and I loved them.


Then came the third act and its "Twist" ending, and it kinda ruined the whole thing for me. Now don't get me wrong, we still have a very cool horror movie here, but it just... I cant say much more without spoiling, so I'll stop. I'm just tired of the damn twist endings...

The Bad
- Will people ever cease trying to use abandoned old buildings to get laid in? Geesh.

The Downright Horrendous
- This one lost it in the third act, big surprise right?, when it pulled the ole' "Twist ending" out of its ass, thereby invalidating the plot as a whole. Can't we just get some straight forward, unexplainable shit for a change?

The Gory- Wall to wall blood! People covered in it, people crawling through it, a haunted chair that extracts it from people, bloody killings, bloody set pieces... A bloody good time! Yes, that was my obligatory British pun. Let's move on.

The Naked- Some simulated oral sex and that's about it.


Best Line- Something about bangers and mash, but I cant quite recall.

What did we learn?- Stay out of abandoned buildings. Also, never make fun of the crazy guy.

Rating
- B- This one had a lot of A grade things about it, but I just can't get past the twist. Still, a really good, bloody, creepy, fun and sometimes funny movie, that you should definitely check out.

Final Thoughts- She is in this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...