LinkedIn or Not?

UPDATE: I reached my 1,500th connection earlier this weekend. I have 3rd degree of separation with over 6,870,900 professionals around the world via the LinkedIn Network!

I must have been invited to join LinkedIn Network a gazillion times over the past few years. I never joined it ... just as I don't have an account on MySpace or YouTube. However, a few weeks ago I saw that a brother that I truly respect was on the LinkedIn Network ... so I finally took a moment to join it. Click here to see my LinkedIn Network profile.

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the professionalism and grown-folks nature of the service. It is not a gossip place. It appears to be a place for serious networking. I've used it to re-connect with some of my buddies from my undergraduate days at UC Riverside. I also used it to get an answer to a question about migrating from my Outlook calendar to the Google calendar. I received six legit answers to that question within about three hours.

I'm still trying to learn how to best use the system. I would be very interested in any ideas or thoughts that you might have on the LinkedIn Network. A colleague pointed out that there was an excellent story on the founder of the network in CNNMoney.com recently.

I will probably try to use the network to promote projects or programs that I'm involved in. Currently, I'm using the complimentary ('free') parts of the network. There are regular reminders that I can upgrade my account on LinkedIn Network. Since there are few advertisements or pop-ups or banner ads ... I imagine that upgrades from subscribers to the network is a big part of the business model. I haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet. If you can share your thoughts on upgrading ... that would be appreciated.

Addendum: My LinkedIn Profile is http://www.linkedin.com/in/waynehicks

Here is update on my network connections over the course of time:
  • 5/26/2008 - 1,500 connections (created groups for BDPA, CBI & The AfroSpear)
  • 3/23/2008 - 1,400 connections (added many AfroSpear bloggers in past month)
  • 2/14/2008 - 1,300 connections (connecting with BDPA program meeting speakers)
  • 12/17/2007 - 1,200 connections (actively looking for BDPA, BETF and CBI contacts)
  • 6/24/2007 - 900 connections (still rolling in from my personal Outlook contact list)
  • 6/19/2007 - 800 connections (invited many in my personal Outlook contact list)
  • 3/12/2007 - 600 connections (worked http://www.mybloglog.com/ hard in past week)
  • 3/4/2007 - 500 connections (joined LinkedInAfricanAmericans YG)
  • 2/20/2007 -400 connections (joined My LinkedIn Power Forum, MLPF)
  • 2/14/2007 - 300 connections (many of them from around the globe)
  • 2/13/2007 - 200 connections (most are my personal contacts in IT industry)
  • 1/28/2007 - 1 connection (joined connection today)

Are you LinkedIn yet? If so, would you care to share any tips or famous folks in your network?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...