Will Racism Cost Obama The Election?


I was born & raised in Los Angeles. Tom Bradley was my mayor and I thought he was going to be the first African American governor of California. In fact, I went to sleep with polls indicating a solid victory for Tom Bradley over his white opponent. Imagine my dismay when I woke up in the morning to learn that Tom Bradley lost the election. It was such a surprise that it became known as the 'Bradley Effect' ... the situation when white voters tell pollsters one thing ... then get behind the ballot booth curtain and do another.

I worry about Barack Obama losing votes on November 4th due to the subtle racism of white Democratic or independent voters who simply won't pull the lever for the Black guy.

So, I was very pleased to hear the drumbeats from Carmen about a courageous speech given by Richard Trumka, Secretary Treasurer of AFL-CIO, in which he gave a passionate plea to workers in the labor union movement to no longer tolerate racism.

Take a moment to listen to what Mr. Trumka have to say:



If we want things to change, we must change. We have to speak out when we see actions or behaviors that harm race relations ... whether those actions occur by white people or African Americans.

What say u?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...