Old School Friday: Soul Train

The theme for this week is Soul Train! Soul Train is a television show that I watched back in the day. My cousin, Chris, was a dancer on the show when it was taped in Hollywood. He was the star of our family for many years based on his appearances on Soul Train.

Many of y'all don't remember the original Soul Train. That was when the line was couples only and brother and sisters came down it together. As I got older it seems that the Soul Train line took on a new solo dancer look where they alternated the cameras from brothers to sisters.



Soul Train was on in the days when you had to be in front of your set. You couldn't tape the show for later consumption. The Soul Train line would come on at about 40 minutes after the hour. Sometimes, I would switch away from other shows to make sure that I saw the line.

I was in college in the 1980s ... it was the time of Miami Vice. I remember watching Soul Train on Saturday morning and trying to mimic the moves at the club on Saturday night. Did y'all know that Rosie Perez was a Soul Train dancer back in the day?





Of course, the other great thing about the show were the performances by the greatest musical acts of our times. Some of the performers knew how to lip-synch and some didn't! I wonder if any of them ever performed live on Soul Train?




I never watched the show very much after Don Cornelius left it. I understand that original programming for the show ended in 2006 ... after 35 years of production. Nowadays they have the Soul Train Music Awards and the 'Best of Soul Train'.

What is your favorite Soul Train memory?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...