Old School Friday: Revolution

The theme for this week's Old School Friday meme is 'Old School Hip Hop'. The theme brings back memories for me. Back in the day, I was a radio DJ at the University of California, Riverside. I was known as the 'Wizard of Soul & Mind'.

Hip Hop was known as Rap back then. Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow, Furious Five, LL Cool J, UTFO, Whodini, Kool Moe Dee, MC Lyte and many others began to explore this new genre of music.

In my view, these brothers and sisters were standing on the shoulders of others who emphasized words and rhymes with their music many years earlier. Do y'all remember Gil Scott-Heron or The Last Poets? If not, then consider this my contribution to your musical education.

Gil Scott-Heron * 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised'





The Last Poets * 'Niggaz Are Scared of Revolution'

If you don't know ... you betta ask somebody!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...