Jesse Jackson Endorses Obama

I see that Rev. Jesse Jackson endorsed Barack Obama in his presidential bid. "He's got my vote," said the civil-rights leader. I imagine that Jackson's support will boost Obama's support in the Black community, the lack of which has been widely covered in the media since Obama announced his run for the presidency. Jackson said Obama has not asked him to campaign for him and he is not in Obama's inner circle of advisers and fundraisers. "I just have an appreciation of him," Jackson said.


I remember the excitement that I felt in 1984 when Jesse Jackson first answered the cries of "Run, Jesse, Run". His speech at the Democratic National Convention electrified a nation. He takes many hits now as an opportunist, however, in my view he earned a lifetime of respect for the courage he showed in running for president.


So, now old school endorses new school. Personally, Obama is my choice for president. Not because he is Black ... although that doesn't hurt. Mostly, because I am encouraged by his background and upbringing that he will represent my community better than the other announced candidates. My overall reaction to the other major candidates:

  • Rudy led a city government with racist policies in New York. This was prior to 9/11 when he became sanctified. It amazes me how the negative impact that Rudy had on Black people has been erased as a result of his very public leadership role after the World Tower attacks.
  • Hilary isn't the Clinton that I would want in office. I thought the 8 years of the Clinton presidency were the best in my lifetime. Why settle for a faded carbon of the original?
  • McCain is simply too old and too ambitious. It is shameful to watch him coddling the same right-wing crazies that attacked him in the 2000 election. I lived through Ronald Ray-gun ... not interested in doing that again.
  • Edwards is an interesting choice. I like the fact that he freely recognizes the issues of poverty and racsim in our society. If Obama weren't in the race it is likely that I wold be supporting John Edwards.

Anyhow, I'm glad that Jackson is on record with his endorsement of Obama. We have many months to go in this campaign. We will continue to learn about all the candidates. Do you have any thoughts on the Jackson endorsement?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...