A quick review of The Road (2009)


The Road is not a horror film. It's certainly a genre flick, full of post apocalyptic ruin and chaos, and some truly horrific visuals and themes, but at its heart it's really a drama about a father and a son. Still, I believe it to be relevant to most horror fans interests to share my thoughts on the film, as it should be right up most of our alleys. Ahem.

Penned by Cormac McCarthy (No Country For Old Men), The Road is a story of a father (Viggo Mortensen) and a son (some kid actor) fighting for their very survival in a world of post apocalyptic strife and ruin. Food is scarce, bands of armed thugs roam the roads looking to take anything from anyone they come across, and hope is all but nonexistent. Did I mention that cannibalism is pretty rampant too?

It's sparse, bleak, and truly a depressing film in many ways, but it's also an uplifting meditation on sacrifice, and just what a father would do for his child to see that he's safe and cared for. I cringed a few times. I hated the ending, although I get the point of it, and the whole thing just left me feeling blah. Still, it was poignant and had something to say, which made enduring its bleakness that much easier.

It was a really good movie, but you may want to wait to see it until you're in a down mood to begin with. Otherwise, it might just ruin the rest of your day.

If I were grading, it would be a B+.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...