Africa ... Alkebulan ... Our Mother Country

My daughter is in the 8th grade. Over the past few weeks she has been studying world geography. She had maps of each continent with borders shown for all the countries. As I reviewed her map of Africa ... I realized that I didn't know how many countries were on the African continent. Do you know how many?

There are 47 countries on the African continent, including the disputed territory of Western Sahara. However, the islands off the coast are also usually listed as African, bringing the total to 53. The island nations are Cape Verde, São Tomé and Príncipe, Madagascar, the Comoros, the Seychelles, and Mauritius. Each is an independent nation.

Mes Deux Cents shared the African map that I have down below. Over the coming weeks, I will share info about these African countries. I'll be learning new stuff ... perhaps you will as well. I wish that I knew which African country my ancestors came from ... that is something that we lost during the slavery period here in America. Perhaps we can find some connections on a personal, political, professional or economic level between African Americans and Africans as a result of these postings. Time will tell.

Villagers, do you have any preference on which country we should use to begin this educational journey? Do you have any thoughts on the type of information that should be shared in these posts over the coming weeks and months?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...