Manic Monday: Kit

I wish that there was some sort of kit that would eliminate the part of the human psyche that thinks it is acceptable to discriminate on the basis of race, skin color or nationality. My dad and grandparents used to tell stories about lynchings and nooses. Now, here I am in 2007 explaining to my children the meaning of nooses being hung in Louisiana, Maryland and North Carolina.

I recall the television kit (alright ... he was a CAT, but, I'm trying to use Morgen's Manic Monday word for this week!) known as Felix the Cat. He would reach into his bag of tricks to pull out all sorts of magical stuff. If I had that kit of tricks I would eliminate the Extreme Color Arousal syndrome. As Rodney King once lamented, 'Why can't we all just get along?'.

Villagers, this week we acknowledge the 50 year anniversary of Little Rock Nine ... nine brave youngsters that desegregated Central High School in Little Rock, AR. You would think that our nation would be further along in race relations over the past 50 years. Yet, we have almost daily reminders that we still have a long way to go.

Where is Felix the Cat when you need him?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...