Manic Monday: Blue


I enjoyed using my Manic Monday weekly meme last week to focus on music. This week Mo asked us to post on the word Blue.

I thought about giving some background on the blues. I've listened to some good Blues music in my life ... but that era of music was before my time. My next thought was a musical group called Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.

Not all of y'all may know what I'm talking about ... but Harold Melvin's Blue Notes were da bomb back in the day. That was an era when you could touch the body of your dance partner ... you didn't have to search around to find where your partner went to. That was an era when there was still some mystery to the lyrics of a song or the visuals in a video. And for truly ol' school folks like me ... that was an era when you could understand the lyrics as they were being sung!!!!

The most famous Blue Note was Teddy Pendergrass. He was so good at singing his songs that female fans would throw their panties on the stage during his concerts! Do any of y'all remember that?

Some of the top hits from the Blue Notes included: 'If You Don't Know Me By Now', 'Satisfaction Guaranteed', 'The Love I Lost', 'Where Are All My Friends', 'Hope That We Can Be Together Soon" (with Sharon Paige)', 'Wake Up Everybody', 'Don't Leave Me This Way', 'Bad Luck', 'You Know How To Make Me', Get Out (And Let Me Cry)', Be For Real', 'Yesterday I Had The Blues', 'Reaching For The World' and many more.

Here is video of one of my favorites...



Dayum ... this was back when a brotha would beg for a sista! The lyrics from this song are simple and direct and they hit home with me very much. Now, I'm getting blue (sigh). What does hearing this music remind you of in your past?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...