Saturday Morning Cartoons

I was at a cook-out over the past weekend and the discussion turned to some of the big summer movies that are coming out in the next few days. A brother at the cook-out mentioned that he couldn't wait to see the new Transformer movie. It dawned on me that I don't even know what a Transformer is. I missed that whole generation of cartoons. In fact, I'm convinced that today's young people don't know much about cartoons because Saturday mornings are full of youthful soap operas ... not good ol' fashioned cartoons.
I grew up when you would watch cartoons on Saturday morning. Felix the Cat. Popeye. Magilla the Gorilla. Mr. Magoo. Johnny Quest. Speed Racer.

My 7-year old son didn't know who Dino was for chrissakes! NOTE: He was the pet dinosaur owned by Fred & Wilma Flintstones.
Anyhow, back to the Transformers. One of the kids at the cook-out went to his family's car and brought back a transformer doll or figurine or whatever it is called. When I saw it I realized that the Transformers people are simply Gigantor-on-steroids! I saw the Transformer and felt better when I realized that new school was simply a modern version of my ol' school!

C'mon ol' school villagers ... sing along with me!

Gi-GAN-tor, Gi-GAN-tor, Gi-GANNNN-tor.

Gigantor the space aged robot,
He is at your command.
Gigantor the space aged robot,
His power is in your hand.

Bigger than big, taller than tall,
Quicker than quick, stronger than strong.
Ready to fight for right, against wrong.
Gigantor, Gigantor, Gigantor.


Care to share your favorite Saturday cartoon memory?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...